Diane Miller Accessible Jewish Story Books Program
In keeping with the Michael Boussina Inclusion Program mission, the Diane Miller Accessible Jewish Story Books Program will provide a variety of classes and services that will educate, empower and inspire children to encourage the inclusion of special needs children and adults. This project is named in honor of Michael and is dedicated to providing a voice for him and others who cannot speak for themselves.
Communication is the sharing of thoughts, experiences, feelings, and information. Effective Communication is a primary factor in the life and for the dignity of each individual. The process requires memory, observation, listening, logical thought, command of language and neurological coordination. Literacy, reading and sharing books is important to develop and to support communication skills. Books are not easily accessible for individuals with physical and learning challenges.
“PJ Library sends free Jewish children's books to families across the world every month. We know that something magical happens when parents sit down together to read with their children. PJ Library shares Jewish stories that can help your family talk together about values and traditions that are important to you. …Your children are learning about the world around them through the stories they hear. PJ Library books can bring Jewish ideas and inspiration for you and your children to share together." (www.pjlibrary.org/About-PJ-Library)
Literacy experiences of reading and sharing books are important to develop and to support communication skills and Jewish Learning. Books are not easily accessible for individuals with physical and learning challenges. Assistive Technology / Augmentative Communication offers tools and techniques to provide universal access to learning for everyone. For example: on a computer, a child with physical challenges can use a switch to turn the pages of a book, to listen to the words and to see the pictures.
- Purchase PJ Library books: diversity of topics and cognitive levels.
- Modify PJ Library books: switch accessible for page turning, audio books, ability to modify size, background and lighting for illustrations
- Offer opportunities for community students and siblings to learn how modify and prepare modified books.
- Prepare & share MBIP packets with PJ Library Books and a flash drive with the books modified for accessibility.
- Make information available on the MBIP website and through social media platforms
- Provide B’nai Mitzvah and community service project mentoring for students wishing to participate in reading and recording Jewish story books for the Diane Miller Accessible Jewish Story Books Program.